11/10 Viruses

This week in Science we started working on an assignment where we go into the perspective of a virus or bacteria, and brag or whine about our job. I picked HIV/AIDS, and have learned a lot about the disease. I have learnt that if not caught, AIDS can be very deadly, but if caught is almost harmless. I have learnt that there are three stages of HIV/AIDS. The first is just a fever, and night-sweats, and various symptoms like that. The second stage just leaves things exactly as they were. The third stage is the most harmful. It can weaken your immune system so other diseases can attack, and can alter your mental health.

I was surprised by how much we have learned about AIDS, and how dangerous it can be if not caught. I learnt that AIDS originated from Africa, and was originally on chimpanzees. I could use this information plus whatever else we learn about it to cure AIDS/other diseases. I participated pretty well because I finished before anyone else, and had as multiple facts. If I could do it again I would do another disease. I wonder if we could use a genetically altered version of AIDS to cure other diseases? How much can we learn about AIDS? What else will we learn about AIDS?