11/11/2018 California Fires.

Shortly after noon on July, 27, 2018, the biggest fire in Californian history, the Mendocino Complex Fire, was ignited. It burned until mid-September. The recent spike in fires that the Mendocino Complex Fire came with could be because of the fact that more houses are being built next to forests with a high fire risk. It could also be because we are getting heavier rainfall, which causes more vegetation. Sometimes there are droughts, and when there are droughts, the vegetation dries up, creating kindling. A good example for this is in Alaska. You wouldn’t expect there to be many fires there, right? Well, recently, there has been a spike of fires on the Alaska North Slope, a place that almost never has fires. The places that have been getting more intense fires, they have been getting heat waves and droughts. This could be caused by climate change, and I agree with them.

I think this article is important because climate change is important. If we do not try to prevent climate change, more and more fires will start, burning down many of our forests, and homes. It is important for society because more will be homeless. Without our forests, the air will be lower quality. Questions I have are, how many fires have started recently? Where have the fires started? And, if the fires are not caused by climate change, which they most likely are caused by it, what did?